The Treasure Base City, Port Harcourt was host to the first screenings of the MTN Lagos Fashion & Design Week Awards 2012. With the success of last year’s events still fresh in our minds, none of us could wait to start the journey to this year’s LFDW!
Held at the Le Meridien, Ogeyi Place on the 8th of August, the city welcomed us with open arms. The LFDW Port Harcourt judges included Akpos Okudu, a MTN Lagos Fashion & Design Week 2011 finalist; Ijeoma Arugba from British Council; Kestner Osahenye from MTN and Wadami Amolegbe of HauTeFashionAfrica.com:
Akpos Okudu, Ijeoma Arugba, Kestner Osaheneye, Wadami Amolegbe
The group of fashion creatives that showed up were a healthy mix of designers, creative entrepreneurs and models, vying to be a part of this year’s MTN Lagos Fashion & Design Week. Remember, in addition to participating in the shows, each applicant has a chance to win the following:
• MTN British Council Young Designer of the Year (YDE), which includes a cash prize of N4,000,000, business mentoring and capacity building working workshops.
• MTN British Council Young Creative Entrepreneur of the Year (YCE), which includes a cash prize of N2,000,000 and access to the excitement during London Fashion week.
• MTN Young Model of the Year which includes a cash prize of N1,000,000 and a modeling contract.
The day went smoothly, with participant after participant, impressing the judges… and leaving them with very difficult decisions to make! Picking the right person to represent Port Harcourt/Nigeria to it’s fullest was NOT easy.
The judges finally reached an agreement and nominated (in no particular order):
• Karen Jacobs:
• Chi 2 Rule:
• Chris Ambassador:
• Jules Puma:
Young Creative Entrepreneur Category:
• Ogo Atariete (Jewelry Maker)
Young Models Category:
• Ezime • Jummai • Belta • Naomi
Stay tuned to read about our adventures in Abuja!